The Worldwide Legal Court docket (ICC) on Friday issued an arrest against Russian President Vladimir Putin, accusing him of being accountable for the struggle crimes dedicated in Ukraine and on suspicion of “illegal deportation of kids and illegal switch of individuals from the territory of Ukraine to the Russian Federation”, reported AFP. In the meantime, the Kremlin has termed the warrant as ‘void’.
What’s the Worldwide Legal Court docket (ICC)?
1. The ICC was established in 2002 to be able to prosecute struggle crimes, crimes in opposition to humanity, genocide, and the crime of aggression when member states are unwilling or unable to take action themselves.
2. The court docket has the provisions to prosecute crimes dedicated by nationals of member states or on the territory of member states by different actors, reported Reuters. The 15 types of crimes in opposition to humanity embrace offences corresponding to homicide, rape, imprisonment, enforced disappearances, enslavement – notably of ladies and kids, sexual slavery, torture, apartheid, and deportation, the ICC web site mentioned.
Additionally learn: Humble turnip, Vladimir Putin and West: ‘Our level of harvest…’
3. At the moment, the ICC is conducting 17 investigations in Ukraine, African states corresponding to Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Venezuela in Latin America, and Asian nations together with Myanmar and the Philippines.
4. Thus far, the ICC has convicted 5 folks of struggle crimes and crimes in opposition to humanity from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, and Uganda. In the meantime, a complete of 21 folks have been held within the court docket’s detention middle.
5. The court docket started the investigation in Ukraine on March 2, 2022 – specializing in the alleged crimes dedicated within the nation.
(With inputs from Reuters)