P&O ferry detained over security issues after ‘failures’ coaching new, cheaper crew

A P&O ferry has been detained in Northern Eire on security grounds – simply days after 800 staff had been sacked with out discover and changed with cheaper company staff.

The Maritime and Coastguard Company (MCA) mentioned the ship, the European Causeway, was held in Larne “resulting from failures on crew familiarisation, vessel documentation and crew coaching”.

Its assertion mentioned: “The vessel will stay underneath detention till all these points are resolved by P&O Ferries. Solely then will it’s reinspected.”

The European Causeway at dock
Picture: The European Causeway at dock

The MCA added: “Detention of ships relies on issues over their security and to stop them going to sea.”

There have been no passengers on board when the company introduced the transfer.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps tweeted: “Following my instruction to examine all P&O vessels previous to coming into again into service, the Maritime and Coastguard Company has detained a ship for being unfit to sail.

“I can’t compromise the security of those vessels and P&O won’t be able to hurry inexperienced crew by coaching.”

Extra on P&o

When did the European Causeway enter service?

The European Causeway was inbuilt 1999 and entered service in 2000, changing the Pleasure of Rathlin, to move passengers from Scotland to Northern Eire.

It was particularly commissioned for the route from Cairnryan – a village in Dumfries and Galloway, round 81 miles southwest of Glasgow – to Larne.

The ship has not operated elsewhere and is just taken out of service when a refit is required.

She will carry greater than 400 passengers, along with 53 crew members.

She has a gross tonnage (the overall carrying capability) of 20,800.

The European Causeway had a makeover in 2013 as a part of a £20m funding in P&O Irish Sea ships.

Mr Shapps had beforehand referred to as on P&O Ferries boss Peter Hebblethwaite to quit over the mass sacking – a name echoed by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Labour’s shadow transport secretary, Louis Haigh, responded to the detainment by calling for the tons of of sacked staff to get their jobs again.

The RMT union demanded the federal government now “seize the whole fleet” of P&O ships.

Please use Chrome browser for a extra accessible video participant

‘Boss of P&O ought to go’, transport secretary says

Normal secretary Mick Lynch mentioned: “The seizing of the European Causeway by the MCA tonight exhibits that the gangster capitalist outfit P&O are usually not match and correct to run a protected service after the roles bloodbath.

“This mob ought to be barred, their ships impounded and the sacked crews reinstated to get these essential ferry routes again operating safely.”

P&O’s boss has said the new crews are paid below UK minimum wage, aside from these on home routes.

Please use Chrome browser for a extra accessible video participant

‘You selected to interrupt the regulation?’

He mentioned the typical hourly pay was £5.50, whereas the nation’s minimal wage for over-23s is £8.91 per hour.

Mr Hebblethwaite, in proof to MPs on Thursday, admitted the company broke employment law by failing to seek the advice of unions and workers in regards to the plans.

Nevertheless, he denied breaking criminal law in an email to remaining P&O staff on Friday, telling them they need to not concern the identical destiny as their former colleagues.

Protests in regards to the sacking are anticipated in Liverpool, Hull and Dover on Saturday.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.