A disabled single mum from North Lanarkshire has been pressured to ship her youngsters to reside someplace else after the council home they had been allotted was discovered to be full of asbestos and dampness.
Cheryl’s 16-year-old son and her eight-year-old daughter are at the moment residing with their grandparents for their very own security. The 41-year-old suffers from fibromyalgia and was homeless for 2 and a half years earlier than the council provided up a house.
Cheryl informed the Daily Record : “It is not secure for my youngsters to reside right here. It is also harmful for me due to my sickness.
“Why would I’ve my youngsters staying in a home the place asbestos has been found?
“The council have mentioned they may take away the asbestos however why had been we given this home within the first place.
“It ought to have been checked earlier than a household got the keys.
“The place additionally stinks of dampness however the council have not mentioned what they will do about the issue.
“I simply need us all to be collectively in a secure, habitable home. We have been via sufficient as it’s.”
Cheryl was horrified when she found the ‘catalogue of points’ she discovered of their two-bedroom new residence after she employed workmen to brighten.
Signal as much as Glasgow Reside’s e-newsletter
Get all the most recent Glasgow information and headlines despatched straight to your inbox twice a day by signing as much as our free e-newsletter.
The morning e-newsletter arrives day by day earlier than 9am and the night e-newsletter, manually curated by the workforce, is shipped between 4pm and 5pm, supplying you with a spherical up of crucial tales we have coated that day.
To enroll, merely enter your e mail tackle into this hyperlink here.
She claims asbestos was discovered beneath the cracked flooring tiles of their lounge and kitchen on November 15 after a workman for Mears, an organization contracted by North Lanarkshire Council, took a pattern from the flooring when he was out assessing the home following her complaints about dampness.
She added: “I’ve had the keys for just a few months now however I did not have the funds for to brighten instantly.
“After I booked decorators, we found the intense points in the home.
“Two weeks in the past a council contractor got here out to entry the property. He took a pattern from our tiles and that is once they realised there was asbestos. The electrician and joiner additionally informed me the partitions had been filled with moisture and could not do something with them.
“There are additionally holes in our bathtub so we will not use that both.”
Cheryl mentioned she was pressured to surrender her personal let in 2020 after discovering the payments too costly to afford on her personal following a divorce.
She added: “We had been declared homeless and needed to reside with household in addition to in a homeless unit, which we did not really feel secure in for the final two and half years. I accepted this home from the council as a result of I felt like I had no different possibility. I used to be determined for us to get out of the unit. I by no means imagined they’d put us up in a home with this many issues. I really feel so disenchanted and let down.”
A spokesperson for North Lanarkshire Council mentioned: “We now have instructed pressing works to be carried out in our tenant’s property to take away flooring tiles, to deal with damp discovered behind wallpaper and to switch objects within the lavatory together with the sink and bathtub.
“We now have additionally instructed a survey to be carried out to determine the reason for damp and this may carried out within the coming days. We’re working with Ms Kerr to treatment all the problems recognized as a precedence.”