OTTAWA – Proof submitted at a public inquiry suggests the Conservative occasion’s former interim chief, Candice Bergen, privately expressed considerations about participating with protesters from the “Freedom Convoy” final winter regardless of publicly urging the prime minister to do exactly that.
A abstract of interviews with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s senior aides that was introduced to the inquiry says the leaders mentioned reaching out to protest organizers in a Feb. 3 telephone name after chief of workers Katie Telford requested whether or not Bergen may assist.
The doc says that within the name, Bergen acknowledged “vital considerations” about whom the federal authorities may communicate to throughout the demonstration and “setting a nasty precedent.”
Bergen had taken over the job someday earlier, after former chief Erin O’Toole had been ousted from the Conservative caucus, and publicly berated Trudeau within the Home of Commons on the identical day as the decision for not providing an “olive department” to the protesters.
Bergen and present Conservative Chief Pierre Poilievre’s workplace didn’t instantly reply to requests for remark.
Trudeau’s senior workers appeared on the second-last day of public hearings held by the fee, which is probing the federal authorities’s choice to invoke the Emergencies Act on Feb. 14 in response to the downtown Ottawa protests and Canada-U.S. border blockades.
This report by The Canadian Press was first revealed Nov. 24, 2022.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION