Final yr the Competitors Fee of India (CCI) slapped Google with a fine for proscribing third-party fee companies and was investigating the corporate for different anti-competitive habits too. After Google’s latest plea to the Supreme Court docket to dam CCI’s orders was rejected, the corporate has to alter its agreements with telephone makers and loosen the foundations for customers.
Beginning subsequent month Android customers in India will have the ability to use third-party billing companies for apps and video games. They may also have the ability to select a special default search engine utilizing a selection display throughout setup. These explicit guidelines apply solely in India, although other regions have put in place related guidelines.
As for smartphone makers, they are going to be allowed to license particular person Google apps to pre-install on the units they ship. Beforehand, makers had been compelled to bundle the entire Google suite.
Google will proceed to enchantment CCI’s resolution, however for now it’s engaged on implementing the next adjustments:
- OEMs will have the ability to license particular person Google apps for pre-installation on their units.
- Android customers have all the time been in a position to customise their units to go well with their preferences. Indian customers will now have the choice to decide on their default search engine by way of a selection display that can quickly begin to seem when a consumer units up a brand new Android smartphone or pill in India.
- We’re updating the Android compatibility necessities to introduce adjustments for companions to construct non-compatible or forked variants.
- Consumer selection billing can be obtainable to all apps and video games beginning subsequent month. Via consumer selection billing, builders can provide customers the choice to decide on another billing system alongside Google Play’s billing system when buying in-app digital content material.
- Android has all the time supported the set up of apps from a wide range of sources, together with by way of sideloading, which entails app downloads instantly from a developer’s web site. We lately made adjustments to the Android set up circulate and auto-updating functionality for sideloaded apps and app shops whereas making certain customers perceive the potential safety dangers.
A number of days in the past Google additionally agreed to permit third-party app shops to be listed on the Google Play Retailer, additionally underneath stress from the CCI (try the Reuters report for extra particulars).